Thursday, April 28, 2005

Guerilla video camp

Well, things have been quite rock and roll since I have been away - too many seemingly good contracts have fizzled out much to my dismay. It's pretty shitty to find out that when you were counting on 700$ to come in, and then to find out that somebody said: oops you are too expensive, went with a friend of the family who will do it for $100, it makes me want to rip their eyes and my eyes out. Very pissy.
My overdraft on my bank is in overdrive.
I think they are going to send the overdraft police after me.

Something's gotta give.
I need money.
Fast!

But speaking of money, that is why I whored myself out last night at an ungodly hour. A good friend of mine called me just before SVU started (and missed the Office - just the most brilliant comedy show on tv since Scrubs!) and asked me : If I told you I had a job for you to do some video work, just in and around the streets of the city, would you do it? It would be 2 hours of work tonight, and two more tomorrow. We have a cam, mind you, it's not the top top of the line cam, but its good to do the job, and we will need this stuff tomorrow by 10am.
Hmm. 12 hours.
I made a film in just less than 36 with him, 12 hours was cutting it a bit close...
but being the money whore I am, I could not refuse, but immediately asked:
what is the pay!?
I'll let you talk to the producer.

I told my man that I would not do it for less than 200. I mean, 4 hours of work, last minute evening stuff, and then a 7am rush thing to do as well?? I wouldn't even get up for 40 bucks at 7am!!
I got a call back 5 minutes later. It was the producer.
It's a small budget, what is your rate?
As a photographer, it's between 75 and 200 (for complicated stuff), and this??? I was going to say 100.
That is too much, we have a really small budget. I can give you 100.
100?!?! And you want this when??!! I'll take 150. Final offer.
Okay 150 it is, see you in 1/2 hour when you come to pick up the camera.

So there we were, my man and I (bless his little heart) zipping around some industrial area in the middle of nowhere to find this place. I met my friend, and he explained to me what the deal was.
We want to show Montreal as a sexy city - this is for the tourism board. We need to sell to people who are about 29-50 with $$, so get lots of people kissing, good looking people and lots of goodlooking women. It's a nice night downtown, you should not have any trouble.
HA!!!!!!!!!
It was an absolute nightmare that followed me into he morning.

It must have been ugly teen people Tuesday night because there was nobody except young grunge kids, running around without their jackets, being loud and obnoxious. I managed to get one couple in a restaurant (the last one that was not closed!!) but caught a glimpse of the boyfriend who did not look in the least bit happy.
Hi - I love Montreal, and this is where and when my girlfriend dumped me!

Not good.

But seriously, there was nobody. And the minute I put the camera up to my waist - (did not even put it to my eye) people became suspicious! It was freaky! People ran away, hid their faces, you name it! I am far from being the papparazzi honey! And you are no Princess Diana okay!!

We actually went into two bars and there was nobody!! Mostly men trolling for single women. It was like a David Lynch meets Rod Serling in a bar somewhere in the Twilight Zone!

We went to a bar that my man had been to, and only one waitress agreed to be filmed, just smiling. It was not like I was asking these people to perform MacBeth or anything, but I could not believe how threatened people felt by the video camera! My film camera, point and shoot, nobody gets hurt, but video!! And size really does matter! A larger camera commands respect, but a little one the size of a big Mac? HA! HA!
And the last laugh was on me!

I managed to keep the camera on for about 4 minutes, filming my feet as I bitched about how last minute this was. Got home and crashed. 1AM. I had to be up in 5 hours.

God in heaven , so help me if I don't get paid for this!!

Got up at 6:30 and went downtown for 7am. Had to get the morning rush, but at the same time, get people who where not 'rushing' cause Montreal is not a rush rush city. BA!
Once again, I was tousled, brushed off, ignored, asked not to be filmed, and al kind of other things that ware too painful to remembered. Some people complied, but others freaked - turning into jello as soon as I lifted up this piece of electronic plastic and metal box!!! I got what I could and made my way out into the middle of what used to be a toxic waste dump (Angus Yards) and dropped off the cassette. I told my friend - well, gave him a disclaimer - had this been on a Friday night, it would have been more interesting. But Tuesday!!!!!!?!? I worked with what I had and did what I could do.
He thanked me and then I puttered home in the rain.

God! Am I pooped! They were supposed to have this thing ready by 5pm today. He has not called me - oops! I fear the worst!!

But I'll keep you posted! ;-)

No comments: