Saturday, April 30, 2005

Little old me...

Well, today's rehearsal was a complete run through - which means that we actually acted out the whole play in it's entirety. I can't tell you what a weird feeling that was. I am still stunned thinking about it. I don't think this is all going to sink in until the first performance. I will be a happy/screaming/sobbing mess. All these emotions hitting me at once. I still can't believe that I managed to write this thing...
I still cant believe it.

Wow.

So everybody was there - we began with the first scene. It is amazing what actors, theater actors that is, can do with their bodies and expressions to make you think that they are somewhere where they are not. Maybe its because I wrote the damm thing I was able to visualize the whole scenario, but this group of people we have with us are absolutely hysterical - they are all so talented, and wonderful - I could not have asked for a better cast group of actors. And they all have the best sense of humor.

It's time like this that I treasure - when it all comes together.
And works.
Wow.

so 15 scenes later (yep - 15 ! I love to dream in technicolor and dolby sound. Did I ever mention that to you?) we were laughing hysterically, applauding and smiling. Aside from a few line glitches and stage kerfuffles, we were running 70 minutes - 10 minutes over the limit, but I told Samantha - "we are going to tighten up once we get the whole play and blocking in order. That will be at least 15 minutes right there!"

Charlotte and I were pretty pleased with the whole thing.
How does it feel to see your play with all the actors and the whole thing being played out?
It really is a dream come true!
Wow.


It was so funny - people were actually still laughing at the jokes! STILL LAUGHING! Almost 4 months into the show and they still find the stuff funny!
Wow.

But what really floored me was when Miranda came up to me and said:
You know HPK, your play changed my life. It's because of this play that I have decided to stay in this city. I was so ready to move back to my home town, nothing was working - I was having such a horrible winter and I really missed my family and friends. I was thinking I was into the wrong field - I was not getting any good roles and then - bang! Here was the play! Your play has done so many things for me - especially for my acting and I have you to thank you for that.

Her eyes started to get all teary as she threw her arms around me to give me a big hug.

my play actually made a difference in somebody's life.
my play.
my work.

How strange it was that only last year - December, I didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with my life - and quite literally - out of nowhere, Samantha and Charlotte found me.

And my life has changed to .
Thanks to them.
Thanks to me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! I want to be a writer eventually too, so here's another way your play has helped someone... Hearing how happy you are gives me inspriation and hope. =o)

hellophotokitty said...

Oh JadeP!!! You made my month!! I really am touched and so happy that my little post has given you hope! It's been a long haul, but it'll be worth it! Keep on trucking my dear and please feel to share your stuff with me ;-)

xoxo