Saturday, April 05, 2008

happy happy day!

Ah - my birthday was brilliant!
It really was a day to remember.

Quick update:

went to see my mom - at 3:30pm exactly (the time I was born 40 years ago) with a cafe au lait and a bouquet of flowers to celebrate my birthday and her successful birthing. She really got a kick out of that. We even decided to re-create the birthing scene - I sat and winced at the foot of the bed while she made a schrunched up face - the same one she made as she pushed me out after 36 hours of labor. Even her best friend Betty was there - as she was 40 years ago, timing my mom's contractions. We all had a really good laugh - and what is better medicine than laughter?

E took me out for an amazing filet mignon dinner. Oh, how I was longing for a good steak after a week of processed box dinners and bland kosher lunch sandwiches! I had a nice big glass of wine and apple crumble for desert. Hmm. Mouth just watering thinking about it!

I bet E that I would be the first to fall asleep when we got home, and was looking forward to doing so, until I got the pants scared off of me by a rousing "surprise!" from my friends!
The dude tried to round up as many of my friends as he could to throw me a surprise party. This was the first one ever - and it was so very very special.

We had a wonderful time - sharing memories (some of them, more than 20 years old. Now that's a way to make a group of people feel over the hill!) and got some words of wisdom from my 40 something gang of pals: "Life really does being at 40. You've gone through so many milestones in your life, have amassed wisdom and experience. Would you really want to do it all over again? You're mature and finally comfortable in your skin. These are the good days.


And indeed they are... :-)

No comments: