Thursday, June 03, 2010

my 2 cents...

Whenever I can put my 2 cents in to help somebody out, it brings me great pleasure when I now that I've made a difference for them in their lives.


When I was looking online about bounce flash accessories, I know I had to share my story.


I had been struggling with bounce flash issues for some time before I decided to bite the bullet and deviate from the standard "bounce flash accessories", and the fact that this one looked like a space ship did not help the issue, but I'm so very glad I did.

Panda eyes (or raccoon eyes) are a problem when shooting and bouncing a flash. Light bounces on a ceiling for example, and then falls straight down onto the face. The falloff most often seems to be hindered by the brow bone, which in turn, acts as a shade, which then creates a shadow in the eye socket area. Voila - you have instant panda eyes.

I have learned from experience that nobody likes to look like the living dead and no amount of post processing will save a photo that does not have enough detail/information to pull out of it. Sure, you can cheat and add some "catchlights" into the subjects eyes, but that only acts as a band-aid. It won't take away the fact that your "bounced subject victims" will still look like they have been up for 72 hours straight. Quite literally, not a pretty picture.

And then along came Lumiquest Pro Max 80/20 bounce flash device. I decided to go whole hog and get the Lumiquest Promax System (complete with bounce cards, silver, white, gold, diffusion screens etc.) but what worried me was a) the bulk of having all these extra gadgets on my flash (as if a huge flash was not cumbersome and obtrusive enough) and b) the fact that it looked like something out of a science fiction movie. But after seeing the results, I was sold. Hands down, this was one of the best investments I had ever made for my flash photography assignments.

The 80/20 does just that - 80% goes up and gets bounced onto whatever "ceiling" and the 20% then gets deflected onto the face of the subject. And sometimes, 20% is all you need! The result - an overall pleasant glow around the subject, as well as a nice uniform illumination on the face. NO MORE PANDA EYES!!! The colored inserts (along with the white card), give a wonderful extra punch, without the knockout of a bare unit. The diffusion that covers the grid is similar to what a diffusion box would give you. Perfect soft diffused light, just enough to illuminate the face.

I was also very thankful and excited when my futuristic bounce accessory saved the day during a wedding in a church where the ceilings were 200 + feet high. Unless you have a gigantic power pack strobe, there is no way, a regular "bounced flash" will save you. I pulled out my 80/20, attached the gold insert (it actually covers the grid on the inside), and presto!! A soft warm glow that was perfect for the wedding photos, and yet, unobtrusive enough to not get people rubbing their eyes from the "atomic bomb flash" of the larger Metz flashes...

So yes, this Lumiquest diffuser looks a bit strange to some, and impressive to others (to my surprise, not many photographers use this), the results speak for themselves. Don't expect this system to light up an entire room, or be able to light up a group of more than 10 people @ more than 10 feet away, but in situations where all you get is one chance to get the "perfect shot", this accessory is simply perfect!

No comments: