Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The phonecall we never want to get...

The phone call we never want to get...


"now this is the time that CBT and all it's wonderful principles will be put to the test"

My mom's words after she called me to say that her doctor said she had melanoma. The apparent cyst on her shoulder was cancerous - a stage 4 - deep into the skin. They are not sure if it's spread to her lymph nodes or anywhere else for that matter.

"we just have to take one day at a time and think positive."

I wonder how much of that is positive thinking and which part is her just trying to block things out. I wonder if she really believes what she is saying or if she is just saying it to calm herself and everybody else. I wonder if and wish that CBT really does work for her - all that she has learned, read about, practiced. I know that it will test my strength and faith in this therapy.

I'm a little bit numb right now.

My best friend said: it's the lack of information that makes us start spinning - our mind begins to try to fill in the gaps, and does so with all the wrong things - paranoia, fear, hopelessness - these horrible negative things.

I think we add negative thoughts because as a child, we were taught - always expect the worst.

Northern European guilt complex - and I think it must be genetic...

No comments: