Friday, August 26, 2005

Zippy

I remember years ago, a good friend of mine - Barnes, called me Zippy because I was always running around, never in one place. He was so funny - in his deep Lou Gossett Jr. voice, drawing an imaginary line across his chest - "zippy..."

And that name so fits me so well lately.

I can't believe I am awake at this ungodly hour. It's 8:20 and I have had only about 2 hours of sleep. The sun comes up and no matter what time I went to bed, a bright early morning has me out of bed and running around - being zippy again.

but i will need my sleep as I am doing another late night again tonight...

So in a gazillion words or less - things are WILD CRAZY!!

- found out that the show - Sex and La Cité, will be playing 3 nights in this festival. One of those nights will be at the Just for Laughs Comedy museum. Capacity 250. WOW! And then two nights at the famous Chez Mado. We are all freaking and pumped. It's going to be a big venue and we are hoping to fill it...
fingers crossed

- I just did some cinematography for a friend's film over the weekend. It was a trailer for his upcoming feature. I got the position by fluke. I had originally met him for the position of director, but he found somebody else who had their own cinematographer. But then about 3 weeks ago, he called me and said that the director's guy had another film to shoot, so the position was open and he had raved about me to the director. Next thing I know, I am looking at the script, meeting with everybody and then spending last weekend shooting the thing! It was a wonderful experience (and I hate to toot my own horn, but the footage was KICK ASS!!) and when the money comes in to shoot the feature, it's gonna be mine to shoot!! No money, but hell! What an experience!!

- I got a last minute call from that club I worked for - 1234. Last minute last Friday night. I was to work on the film Saturday morning - and be on set by 7:30am...
I know it's last minute, but would you be able to come in and shoot something tonight!? The photographer for the fashion show backed out and we are left without anybody to document this... I would really appreciate it but understand if you can't make it... Well, needless to say, I jumped on the chance and went (I was a wreck the next morning, but was okay after my 20th coffee).

Well, wouldn't you know, I got a call last night from the same people from the club asking : I know it's last minute again, but we are going to need you tonight, and tomorrow night. And we would like to book you in advance for the 1st and the 4th of September, and then again on the 4th and 30th of October...
I almost swallowed the receiver my mouth had opened so wide! The catch was that at my usual going rate, twice a month, every month for the next 4 months was a lot of money - but he said:We have been approached by other people who want to take the photos, but frankly, I love your photos so much, you are my star photographer of choice. So can we talk price?

I settled on a half decent deal and both parties were happy.

BUT
there is always a but isn't there...

I got to the club (and thank God I followed my instinct to take my other flash) and I start to take some photos, and realize that my in - camera flash has died!! I almost lost it, but some internal switch overrode the panic button in my head and I just made do with a slow, but functional external flash. It was hysterical - I don't know if it was just the night, the moon, or the alcohol, but everybody was just dying to have their photo taken (which made my job a helluva lot easier!)!! So that was all good.

it's all good.

And I am one happy and exhausted camper now.

And I am going to be going to New York for the first time in my life in October!! A group of people from Flickr have managed to get a group exposition off the ground and I am taking part in it as well as being part of the 'artist speaker' series which will be open to the public as well as the expo which will be in a gallery in Harlem. I am quietly flipping with large bags under my eyes and a huge grin on my face.

Speaking of bags...

I should get a token amount of sleep again before I officially start my day. I was hoping that typing a marathon blog would get me sleepy, instead it's just gotten me hungry.

Time to have a bowl of Lucky Charms - They're magically delicious!!

No comments: