Monday, September 15, 2008

I DID IT!!! I DID IT!!!

I DID IT!!!


I GOT MY LICENSE THIS AFTERNOON!


And I am so flipping overjoyed and relieved!!!!!!


all night it rained, and all night I kept on dreaming of how my first time drive in the rain - during an exam, was going to be the death of me - that I would skid off the road, not see clearly enough because there would be such a torrential downpour (we were actually having weather bulletins
issued on the weather network last night!), the windshield wipers would not be able to keep up, but alas, the sky was overcast, and a few droplets while i took my test run down there, but when I got into the car - no rain!!!

And what a relief that was!

already nervous like hell, i was hoping and praying for a friendly test person. The woman before me had one who was smiling, laughing, polite and kind. My luck, I'll get a grumpy one. And that I did.

He was young too - not more than 25, but filled to the brim with a cocky self-righteous attitude. I knew things were going to be tricky when I asked him kindly in french if he could give me the directions in english because French was not my mother tongue and I was a bit nervous.

He paused, and then without looking at me he said as a question:
S'il vous plait?

ARRRRRRRRGGHH!!

Same as asking somebody - "didn't you forget to say please?"

MotherFkr.

Oh mais oui!! Excusez moi - s'il vous plait?

off to a bad start. This was not good at all. I feared for the worst.

I tried to make small talk along the way - telling him about how I prayed for it not to rain today, and how every day that I was supposed to practice on a rainy day - the skies would open up and the sun would shine through - a miracle in reverse. He kinda smiled for that one.

the trip was short - 15-20 minutes tops. It was when we got back to park I began to panic again...

Parallel parking - on a sidewalk - two cars in front and behind you. That's what I was told parallel parking was, and I had it down to a science that I would conduct with my eyes closed and driving with my toes. What way does he ask me to park? Shopping mall parking lot parking.

Technically, that is a form of parallel parking, but not the kind everybody told me to study for!! So I tried to squeeze into a spot and it was close. When I asked him "i guess i might be too close to the guy next to me?" , he replied with a snarky comment:
"Well, what do you think?
"

Ohh oh. Didn't like that tone of voice....


but I managed to straighten out the car, put it in park, and turned off the ignition. He pointed out a few things - lane changes, I slow down instead of speeding up, but he gave me a whole pontificating litany on how I was too close, and why did I keep on going so close when I saw that i was already close...

I was sure that i was going to fail, and was ready for those two painful words, but alas, after his little sermon on the art of parallel parking and all the things I did wrong, which went in through one ear and out the other, he said: "Otherwise, you drive well, so congratulations - you passed the exam."

I felt like shaking his hand and jumping up and down, but he was cold and snarky. Don't want to push my luck by leaning over to give him a hug.

And as I walked inside the bureau, I saw my mom waiting for me and flashed her a huge smile - she knew what that meant.


so after 20 years of having my learners permit, i finally FINALLY got my license!!!

Yippie!!
now i will nap cause I didn't sleep last night, and all that stress pre-exam has made me exhausted.


3 comments:

Catherine Roy said...

Congrats Kitty !!

hellophotokitty said...

Hi Zara! Thanks for stopping by!! :-))
I'm really happy - so very happy. Now I can tackle the agressive montreal drivers like a pro! lol

BillyWarhol said...

Fantastic!!

i had to rewrite + redrive mine this past summer fer $5000 in Unpaid Parking Tix!! Not a single Speeding Ticket + a bureaucratic Error*

atanyrate i passed the Written after studying my ass off but then Flunked the driving part twice - i was Livid - I drove Perfectly except fer Nitpicky Crap that the Not Nice Testers nail ya with*

the second lady was an Ilsa She Wolf of the SS + i think they play Games* typical Gov't Crap* + Money Grab***********

Glad ya Passed!! ;)) Peace*