Sunday, September 14, 2008

paradise lost


Before

I got these images from a friend who went to the same little place called paradise, that is paradise no more after hurricane Ike.

it was a hotel called Club Covarrubias in Holguin Cuba. I was there about 5 years ago and from what I remember, and what I'm seeing now, it rips my heart to shreds to see it look so bad.


Hurricane Ike hit the region very hard. About 2 hours from the Holguin Airport, Las Tunas, a really small region in the middle of nowhere was a secluded spot of heaven on earth.

The before and after photos are not mine, but I just had to post them so you can get an idea of what kind of devastation we are talking about.

the breakfast hut was leveled. It was right on the beach. It was a miracle that nobody was killed or seriously injured.

How long will it take until the hotel is restored to its former beauty? Nobody really knows. Cuba is still a communist state and any kind of supplies are hard to come by.


After



and speaking of rain...

still no rain today and my exam is 2mrw. And guess what is forecast for 2mrw? Showers. I told my mother that she could sit on the roof of the car and carry a hose with her so it would feel/look like rain, so at least I will get some feeling as to what it's like to drive in it. But as it stands now, 2mrw will be an experience. I'm trying not to think about bombing the exam, but my stomach is in knots and i hope I won't puke at the first downpour.

wish me luck...

No comments: