Thursday, February 23, 2006

Forgot about this chapter

I have been so over my head with all kinds of things to do, I almost forgot this huge chunk of the story (heh. No pun intended.)

So here it is - the crater in her back. It's pretty shocking and didn't post the high resolution yet, but my mom is actually not freaked out by it, thinks it's quite interesting and considers it a battle scar that she wears proudly...

but as always, life tends to throw you a curve ball when you least expect it.

After seeing one oncologist today, he gave us some not so great news\prognosis. This is an excerpt from an email my mom wrote to her main surgeon explaining what happened and the kind of information she was given.

Unfortunately, doctor x did not have any alternatives for me. He did give me an option – interferon for one month through iv, followed by chemo 3 times/week for one full year, during which I would not be able to work. And to top things off, this treatment plan is designed for persons whose melanoma has spread to the lymph nodes. It does not improve survival chances for people like me whose melanoma has NOT spread to the lymph nodes. So, really there is not much point in going through the treatment.

We saw Doctor X today. He does not offer interferon for only one month. From what you had said, and what I had read, I believed that one month of interferon was definitely an option. But he says it is not. He did not seem very anxious to discuss any other treatment options. After waiting for 2 hours, my daughter and I were quite disappointed, because when I asked for his recommendation, he shrugged his shoulders. As you can imagine, after getting good news that the cancer had not spread, it seems that if it had in fact spread, I would have options. Now it seems that I do not.

And to top it all off, "the chance of increasing her chances of "survival" after a year of a chemo, which may not even be good for her, was only about 10%. So basically, regardless if she gets it or not, she's not in a very good situation, and it seems with this doctor, there is no middle ground.

Black or white.

I told her that it's in her best interest to get a 2nd opinion - "we do research, ask opinions, go from one dealer to another when we are buying a car to make sure we get the best deal, why can't you apply this to your health and prognosis? It is your body and your health! Shop around for the best and most feasable option for you!"

We are both in a mild state of shock right now, but the despair has turned into anger and frustration, which I beleive can be more productive in helping us find a solution and stir up the fighting spirit we need to fight this.

more updates soon.

(Feb 23rd)

Latest update - the surgeon who removed the tumor said that he would put us in touch with another surgeon at another hospital. If worse comes to worst, he will take her on himself. This guy is really gold.

The wound is about 8-% healed. I have to take another photo because it's just so freaky how the body regenerates itself.

what a ride...

No comments: