Monday, February 13, 2006

A tribute to female self portraiters

Aliette - one of the many beautiful and uber tallented photographers on flickr posted this tribute today.

It came at such a perfect time for me, and I am sure, many other women as well.

I think that women dont give themselves the credit they are due. Being a woman in a mans world is no easy slice of pie! But so many strong and brave women pave the way for the rest of us every day, along with those who have already paved the way in the past.

I was watching 60 minutes tonight, and there was this one GI, she must have been about 22 at the time of the incident, she had to have half of her skull removed because her jeep ran over a land mine, causing severe body and head injuries. She was in a coma for about 4 months, and the doctor said that she had a 2% chance of survival. When Mike Wallace interviewed her and heard this, he repeated - 2%!! To which she replied: well somebody had to be in that 2% so why couldnt it be me?

I was floored.
That was courage and determination beyond any shadow of a doubt.

She had to re-learn to walk, speak, eat even think again. Its taken her two long years, but she is a real trooper. And its women like that - women who are fearless, not only in the face of danger, but in the face of others and the world who deserve a little special attention and kudos.

Strong women - my mom, and all my fellow female self-portrait flickerites, we*ve come a long way baby!!!

No comments: