Friday, March 09, 2007

how it all started

in roughly two weeks from now, I'll be having my first solo exhibition in new york city.

my first solo expo - anywhere.
And it happens to be in new york

correction: I made it possible to be in New York...

This was an email I sent to the manager of Madame X, and her reply follows.

I can't believe this is actually going to happen (well, knock on wood and pray like hell).

And just to think, it was a year in October when I made my way to New York for the first time, and when I drove by Madame X (and almost crashed Kit's car in the process...)



Monday, July 24, 2006 12:22 PM

Hi Karen,
I don't know if you got my phone message last week - I had spoken with Amy a little while ago and she told me to speak with you about the logistics of putting on a show - times, space etc. She also mentioned about the 'promotional logistics' to me, which I am totally okay with. That is why I was wondering if you had anything in the spring available - april would be the best (I don't know if I mentioned it to you, but the 4th is my birthday and that would be the most memorable birthday of my life!!!) if it's at all possible, and the other main reason being that it would give me enough time to put together some press kits and promo material to be able to distribute to the local galleries, dealers, papers etc.


I don't want to do a rush job seeing as I want this event to be special, and at this point, my graphic designer is booked up until late October.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from, and that this does not put my potential exhibition in jeopardy :-(

I will be free at the end of the week, so if you would like to contact me during the day, I should be home.

Hope to talk to you soon, and have a great week.

K





Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:59:32 -0400
K,

I would love to have you do a show at Madame X and next spring would be fine. I do have some concern about the logistics because you are so far away. Would it be possible to speak by phone? (I do not have daily access to my e-mail.) You said you are available later in the week. A good time for me to talk would be this Thursday, late afternoon. Is 2 or 3pm on the 27th good for you? E-mail me your phone number & I can call you then.

If that's not convenient, just send me an e-mail and we'll work out another time.

And don't worry, I do understand where you are coming from. The way I see it, you are a professional who is willing to do the necessary work to make your show memorable. That will hardly jeopardize your having an exhibit with us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Karen

No comments: