Tuesday, November 23, 2004

20 Years later...

So here I am, sick as a sick dog but still gleaming from Saturday night. I can't even begin to go on about how amazing it was, what a rush I felt that even thought 20 years had passed between seeing all my old friends, it seemed like it was just yesterday we spoke. Within a few minutes and formalities out of the way, we were able to get right back on track as if no time had passed at all... It was one of those monumental events that change a person, and I have been changed in such a wonderful magical way...

Funny thing - it seems that my group of gal pals were the 'popular group' in the last years of high school! This comes as news to me because I was always the wall flower until I met these girls - one in particular who 'adopted me' into her Von Trapp like musical/multi talented Italian extended family. I became her 'sis' and through her help, I came out of my shell and turned into a real butterfly just in time for my grad and 16th birthday. It was a rite of passage that, thanks to her, made me a large part of who I am today. But I digress... That is the subject of a whole other blog!!!

So when I walked into the hall, I heard my name being called in quadraphonic sound followed by a a loud: "Sis!!!". I knew it was her. While I was signing in, getting my nametag and photo taken, she yanked me to the side. We hugged, jumped up and down and screamed in unison: "YOU LOOK SO AMAZING! YOU HAVE NOT CHANGED!! OH MY GOD!!!". It was the quintessential moment which set the precedent for the rest of the night which was filled with sweet reminiscing of the good old days, memories of stupid incidental things we did to waste time during lunch hour, catching up on how many kids, divorces, houses, jobs had passed through our lives over the years. My 30 seconds or less shpeil was: I am not married, but have been living with him for 6 years, we rent a house - don't own, no kids - but two cats, and am a filmmaker and photographer. I got allot of laughs from that.

There were quite a few times that I had to look at the nametag of the person to make sure that it was who I remembered them to be - I equate the experience to finding a watch that you believed lost, only to find it behind the couch a year later. There were quite a few people with glazed eyes and huge smiles on their faces. And part of every reunion, there were a few 'ugly duckling to swan' stories; the most dramatic being one guy that I had known from grade school, whom many of us pegged as - having the best "bowl on the head/I am a geek' haircut 10 years in a row. While we were in the midst of taking a group photo (all 130 of us), I see this tall, built, and quite handsome guy walking in.
Who the hell is that and is he really part of my class??
He began to wave and smile at me. I waved back and smiled, turning to my 'sis' : "who in God's name is that?"
"Oh - that's --. They used to call him 'slim' remember?"
I didn't, but I wished that I did.
As the crowd congealed into one huge lumpy mass of laughter and chatter, I cranked my neck around and took in the whole scene. Time is such an incidental thing - I thought. People may change on the outside, perhaps to a certain measure on the inside, but our core, our essence of our being stays the same. What a marvel of humanity - how such a thing can stay so constant over such a long period of time and physical, emotional and geographical evolution.
And for that moment, I was deeply moved. You can see it in my smile in the photo - front and center, as usual ! LOL!

So the parade of food came in on time, but I found it bizarre how the DJ played dance music the whole dinner. I lost count how many plates of Bow pasta in a Rosé sauce sat untouched on each table! I was starving and I am glad I ate all of my meals too. It was all the starch that saved my stomach and reputation at the open bar later on that night. I could go on for hours, but I will spare you the sucky details of my reminiscing (which would only be relevant to me and the 130 others that were in attendance that night), but in summation, the whole event was something that everybody should experience at least once in a lifetime. So the next time you receive an invitation to your class reunion, don't throw it away. Don't beat yourself up by saying: "Why should I go?" or "I have not done enough in my life to want to face up to these people again, with all their houses, and kids and great jobs..." . Chances are, they are all saying the same things themselves about you! We only go around once in this trip called 'life', sometimes you have to bite the bullet, fear the fear and do it anyway and take chances. 20 years goes by so incredibly fast and regrets for things not done, opportunities not taken are the poisons of time and life.

On a closing note (which I find so completely appropriate to this blog), I met my old English teacher again. A little weaker for wear, but still as sweet as ever, he recognized me right away. 'Hi there --! Are you still writing?"
I used to love his classes. It was thanks to him that I continued in the craft; his inspiration and belief in my talent as a writer are the reasons why I am now doing what I love as part of my living.
"Of course! It was thanks to you that I went into writing and script writing today! I am entering a contest for the Comedy Network this month! I plan to make a skit comedy show! You may not know it, and perhaps I never told you, but you inspired me! Thanks to you I am doing what I have always wanted to do! "
A smile appeared from ear to ear. I think I actually managed to make him a bit shy. "Why thank you --. That is very wonderful to hear, but I always knew you had it in you to do great things..."
So I dedicate this blog to you Mr. Dugas, and to you, my 'sis' Lucy. Thank you for believing in a kid, who, for the longest time, didn't even believe in herself.

No comments: