Thursday, November 11, 2004

Pergolesi and other strange coincidences...

Who would have thought! I start off this blog yesterday - mentioning about this 'oktohie' thing (which means life purpose in Japanese btw - if you need a frame of reference, read my bio), and I mention it today to a friend of mine while speaking about films (this quote came from a film that I saw at the MWFF last year) and also mentioned an idea for a film that I have on the back burner. It would have to be a co-production with either France or Italy cause I would need access to some of those grandiose theatres with those great velvet drapes, and also the rolling lush green landscapes of Provence, SOOOO - I mention this idea which takes place in the 17-1800, and I explain in detail about this death scene. Kinda like the Pieta with Mary holding Jesus, (same context - mother and child) and she is out in the rain, weeping while her young son dies in her arms. Can you see it? Move over Merchant/Ivory! And the music I hear playing over it is the Stabat Mater by Pergolese. I can imagine the bridge of the first movement corresponding to her looking up to the skies, another crescendo introduces the movement of her hands brushing away the water from his face. Even now, I can hear the music... (insert MP3 here..) So would you not know it, all this talk about me finding my 'purpose in life' through me making movies, I get on the metro and I see one of those "metro newspapers' (whoever thought about that was a genius! No more glaring at other people during the morning commute to work -now you can hide your face in a metro mag!) and as I flip through, I see in the corner of my eye the little heading "Stabat Mater'. My heart skipped a beat. I mean there are so many "Stabat Mater's I mean I think Marylyn Manson must have done a death metal Goth version by now; so I scan this little 75 word blurb and low and behold - it is Pergolese!! And what is it? It is the whole composition being sung Saturday night at 8pm at a church quite literally a stone's throw from my place!! Thank God there are handrails on the escalators in the metro and they run kinda slow mo because I would have taken a nice long tumble. WHAT WERE THE CHANCES!?!?? C'mon! All you sceptics out there - I dare you to find an explanation to this one!! That was just too strange...

I am starting to believe more and more that sometimes there are little markers along the road to life that kinda say to you 'yea, you are going in the right direction - keep going". This is another one of those glorious moments...


Here is the linkamajig for the toon:
http://www.e-compil.fr/produit.jsp?section=0&axis=2&id=165

(an aside - this just in from my fave web psychic (http://www.cainer.com/) for tommorow and the weekend:
You feel as if you are only just coping. There is, though, all the difference in the world between "only just" and "not at all". Beethoven "only just" completed his ninth symphony. The allied forces "only just" managed to win World War Two. A success is a success no matter how narrow the margin. You may be tired, you may be struggling but you are on the right path. You are doing what needs to be done. And if you keep on going, you will reach your goal. That's all you need to remember this weekend.

Woa.. Well "Hail Mary in a handbag***' - that is some strange news...

Just in case you are in the area, here are the stats...
I will be there of course - this is just too creepy to miss...
Maybe I will meet the producer of this film during the intermission!?!?!

Stabat Mater by Pergolese

Pianist: Guy-Francois Morel
Soprano: Marie -Helene Anctil
Mez-Soprano: France Champagne
Baratone: Martin Boucher

8pm
Eglise Notre Dame du Rosaire
corner of St. Hubert and Villeray.
Metro Jarry, south on St. Hubert

*** That is my saying - I give you permission to use it only if you direct people to this blog...

No comments: