Friday, November 19, 2004

It's been 20 years...

Last night I had the best surprise - a friend who was my buddy, my 'sister' called me to confirm the seating arrangements for the 20th anniversary high school reunion. We had been in email contact for the last 2 months, but had not spoken in 20 years!! It was soo weird - weird in a good way though - I was surprised that we spoke and laughed like we had just spoken on the phone yesterday! It was always so easy to talk to her, and I kind of dreaded the awkward 'catching up' thing ("so what have you been doing? Really? You married? How many kids?...") but it was so natural. I think that a true friend is someone you never fall out of touch with, no matter the distance or time that has passed between the two of you.

So she gave me the scoop on who is going to be there, who is not, who is married, divorced...
"You know, after 20 years you would think that some of these stupid 'cliques' we had in high school would have worn off, but you would be surprised!"
Just the way people rubberneck at accidents on the highway, I cant wait to see how these pockets of 'cliques' are going to pan out in 'real time' 20 years later...

"And there are some guys that when I told them about you say: 'I wish I would have asked her out when I had a chance..." I laugh because had these guys actually owned a set of balls, they might have been with you now!"
That is going to be sooo strange. Seeing somebody 20 years later and have them say to your face things that went unspoken and just faded away with time. Its going to be sooo strange, but I intend to have fun and make this a memorable night (staying sober and not being a homewrecker cause I am sure this night is going to be full of incidences like that!)!

So Saturday at 5pm, the fun begins...

I slept all day today - my body ached so much I could not move. My head was stuffed and throat was like an unpaved country road. I was miserable. I missed two days of film festiavaling which made the day seem that much longer. This is a flu. It has hit full force. Throw PMS in the mix and you have one hell of a mean bitch on wheels!

I thought this was so cute - my friend told me that even though he has not known me for long, he thought that I was "quite interesting and fun" during this, my 'week from hell'. I guess I have an interesting flipside - more introspective, (more sensitive - a good thing/bad thing), more loopy (which is always good for laughs when I forget what I said 2 minutes ago...) and at times, calmer. That was really sweet. I know he was being honest because he is a no bullshit type of guy. It's funny - PMS is considered to be the monster of all monsters, but to this flipside, something positive.
Thanks D. ;-)
That was the first time anybody has ever said that to me.

No comments: