Saturday, March 07, 2009

goodbye

it was about 6:30pm when she died - a heart attack. Quick and silent, and apparently, without pain. She was surrounded by the wonderful women at the nursing home where she stayed - her "home" away from home. She loved it there, and they all loved her. She was one of the most lucid people in the whole building.

I was asleep when e woke me up to tell me. 
I'm still in shock.

It was just a few days ago we were talking about what she was going to wear to my wedding.

she loved it when i did my impression of the greek woman in the house next to my mom's. 
she loved it when i laughed
she loved it when i sang "sing with heehaw vandoosh" - apparently vandoosh was a name I heard somebody say on the radio, and at 3 years old, you couldn't tell me that it was not a real word.

38 years later, it still made her laugh so very hard - we all did.
What a wonderful memory. One of many...



So very sad. I wanted nothing more than her to see me walk down the isle - her first granddaughter.

Goodbye Starenka.
Hopefully, you will find many vandooshes to sing to you in heaven and may the souvlaki and greek music fill your days with sunshine.

I will love you and miss you terribly.


2 comments:

Jallen Dragonhide said...

Aww.. I am sorry for your loss. I only have one grandparent left- and I dread the day.

*hugs

hellophotokitty said...

i also thought the same thing...
Tell them every day that you love them, and thank them for all the sacrifices they have made, the love they gave and smiled shared...