Saturday, May 07, 2005

My life as a TV Sit-com...

Every other day, something happens in my life and I have to shake my head and say I have to write this stuff down cause nobody will ever believe me, and in two days, I will forget all the details...

Well, today was one of those days...

I was found out that a friend of mine pulled out al the stops to have me as a cinematographer for this corporate video that he will be directing. It's a video for some chartered accounting association - the aim of this mini-clip is to get kids who are just out of high school to make accounting an appealing choice. I am wondering how my friend is going to make a convincing argument to back that claim up. He has his work cut out for him and so do I...

Allow me to explain -
This is the real deal - the big thing. This is a well known production company with alot of pull in the city, and the company that wants this thing is paying big bucks to make it happen.
How big is Big Buks?
$35,000
That's their budget.
The first time I heard my friend tell me, I thought he said 3500$.
I almost had a hear attack when he corrected me.

Well, you see, I have worked on productions that have bee, well, under the $5000 mark. Peanuts when you consider the scope of this clip that I am working on.
This is the real deal !

If this thing ends up looking like shit, I will be in deep trouble!
I have been running around my house, flipping because I am wondering if I can actually pull this thing off! I mean, the director with whom I have worked with before loves my work - I mean he had to pull some serious strings to get me (a non -union member) to work on this aparently unionized shoot. He obviously believes in me enough to have him take on this project with him (his reputation is riding on this as much as mine is) but I AM SHITTING BRICKS!! I AM SOO NERVOUS! I have never pulled off anything like this of this magnitude before! This is big bucks!! BIG BUCKS! I think the key is to go in, bluffing my way through the whole thing, just like I did when Samantha asked me if I would write the play for her: Oh yea, no problem! It'll be a cinch!

And then I ran home, running around in circles, pulling out my hair saying:I can't do this! I have never written a play IN MY LIFE BEFORE!!
But here we are, two weeks away from the press showing, one month away from the actual play, and something that I could have never even conjured up in my wildest dreams is becoming a reality.
Wacky shit.

I wonder what I will be saying after this video!?!?
Crying or laughing?
Stay tuned!

So rehearsals today - it's amazing to see this thing come together! I saw the dance numbers this afternoon - and they are coming along amazingly well! Apparently, this play is already the buzz of the city. One of the top theater producers here in the city has already heard of it, and is on the jury for nominating the best play of the festival. Our fingers and toes are crossed...

I went out with Samantha for drinks. It was a beautiful night and we walked and talked alot. She is so elated with the play, and told me how she just knew that it was going to be me who would be able to translate her vision into reality.
How did you know!?
I just knew. I saw you, heard what you had to say, liked your ideas, felt comfortable with you right away, and just went with my gut.
Just like that?
Just like that. And I am so happy I did!


We reminisced about the rocky road the play has taken since it's inception - the director fiasco, the Carrie Bradshaw # 1 no go, our desperation to find a director (when one was right under our nose -Charlotte), finding the Greek and Italian mothers (yours truly) and then finding the right actors to play the right parts.

It's all coming together - it's all falling into place.

I told Samantha - mark my words - this is going to be the summer that our lives will change.
She smiled and agreed. I think she feels the same vibe that I do. The ball is rolling - it's been a long time coming. And we are all ready for our cameo.

You know, when we were having our first reading, with all the characters, everybody was laughing so hard. They were all amazed at how well written this play was! Remember when you walked in!? They were all still stunned!
I remember! I was turning beet red because everybody kept on gushing .
Well HPK - it is a brilliant play!
Not bad for a first timer eh?!
Its phenomenal!

We sat and imagined what this summer was going to be like - the rush of the performance, opening night, the encores, the crowds laughing at the jokes. I will be in shock - hearing all these people laughing at my jokes!! Funny thing, when I hear the actors reciting their lines, I can remember when I wrote each joke! A little trigger - that multi-fuckable joke was written at 5am on a Friday. It was Friday because I saw the recycling bins outside...

I am so floored.
I am in a state of buffered shock. Not quite really feeling the impact and magnitude of what I have done/created, but at the same time, feeling like I am observing it from a safe place - an observation tower of sorts.

God - so much emotion in one night, one day. After an emotionally draining weekend, this day of good news and elation goes a long way in healing me.

Onwards and upwards.
The best is yet to come...

1 comment:

angel-A said...

Hi Kitty!

"How big is Big Buks?
$35,000
The first time I heard my friend tell me, I thought he said 3500$.
I almost had a hear attack when he corrected me."

My dear, I believe that very soon $350,000 won't surprise you.
Don't forget - only the sky is your limit!!! Only the sky!
You have a great talent, you are a rare jewel, rely on God, He stores a wonderful plan for you, just be opened and listen to Him...
carefully.

salute!!!