Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A reply to how artistis feel about posting images of themselves...


A reply from an artist as to how artists feel about posting images of themselves


It *does* make sense. It's one thing to show work that, though it may *feel* personal, can't feel that way to the audience (I did that last year). It's entirely another to show work that, whether it *feels* personal at not, can't help but feel that way to the audience -- and for that to be an audience who also see *you*.


We're the lucky ones, though: we already know that people like and respond to and respect our work, and that they respect us as a consequence. I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the same will be true of the people in our "real" lives, the ones who know us before/elsewhere -- even if they'll do a real double take at first.



What my question was to her...

Speaking of which - I'm taking a bold step by putting up three of my blue series images here at the university. There was this call for art entries - "social diversity and equity department" - the diversity of the university. Well, they liked what they saw and told me that my stuff was interesting enough to put in.

this is my blurb to attach to the images:

What you see here is real...

These are self-portraits taken in my bathroom - exploring the depths and darkness of despair, anxiety, fear and mania.

As an artist, it's become my mission to share my experiences as someone who lives with manic depression. For many years, it has been my demon, my poison, my worst nightmare come true, but over time, I have managed to find an outlet, a translation from that foreign language into visual poetry which is meant to both heal and inspire...


this art fest is about diversity : "By seeking ways to uncover the complexity of our unique community, we can gain a deeper appreciation of our many personal differences..."

I'm feeling a little vulnerable about posting these - in the hallway between two libraries. Lots of traffic - profs and students by the hundreds on a daily basis. Perhaps it's because it's on my home turf. Perhaps it's because I know that it will be seen as something 'out of the ordinary' - depression in all its faces.

I don't know.

When it was on flickr - I was a name to many, but to a select few, an actual person behind the name. There is a safety zone between the viewer and myself - but here, there isn't really.


I guess it's about putting it all out there. We have all felt that and I guess, will continue to do so as long as we decide to show our art, show who we are through our art.

does that make sense?

No comments: