Sunday, October 28, 2007

goodbye


goodbye
Originally uploaded by hellophotokitty
It was the preamble nobody wants to hear - "while you were away..."

My aunt died last Thursday.
My family didn't want to tell me right away because this was weekend I was going to Toronto to attend a festival where 3 of my photos and film were being shown. I was so happy, had such a wonderful weekend, but now, none of that matters. My sorrow runs deeper than I thought as my aunt's battle with cancer echoes my most terrifying fear that my mother might be next if the cancer comes back.

My aunt died a day after she was moved to the hospice, in her sleep, the most peaceful and gentle way to go. She leaves behind a husband, daughter and 1 year old granddaughter, and a huge hole in our family tree.

It's ironic how I took this photo only a week ago to document the memory of a beautiful summer while simultaneously grieving the passing of yet another season: everything is dying or preparing for the big sleep. I never thought that this natural process of things would hit so close to home so soon.

So I will be away for a little while, hopefully with a more positive spin on things, and with the rest of those pictures from what remains the best photo shoot to date, but now, my natural process of grieving begins.

I thank you all for being there when I needed you the most.

No comments: