Friday, February 22, 2008

gymbo

I did it
braved the arctic blast, and made my way to the gym.
The first time in 2 1/2 years!

Pretty proud of myself, trying not to get disappointed because I didn't run the 5k in 25 minutes, leg press 150 pounds and bicep curl 20lbs (all of which I did when I was at my fittest 3 years ago). It's a tall order, but I'm not expecting to do this overnight - which is a good realistic expectation.

A little at a time -
that's what I can do for now.
and that's kinda okay.

Still have that nagging, scolding voice in the back of my head, reminding me of my past accomplishments, expecting not only to measure up, but surpass those "best" feats. Guess that will go away with some mental exercises.

I ran (well, walked briskly) for 25 minutes - getting my heart rate to about 126 (which I think is healthy for my age - now that I'm getting very scary close to 40). But the best part was something I considered a treat - a long lounge in the steam room, then into the sauna.

Somewhere in that sticky nostril hair burning heat, I find peace and quite. The thoughts slow down to a minute trickle and breathing becomes easier, less labored and longer.

So today I'm taking a rest just because I feel a little under the weather. The fact that the missing chunk inside of my cheek (ripped out during a delightful thai dinner last Friday) is burning and stinging every time my mouth moves doesn't help, but I think a nice soak would.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting healthy is good! and I at 39, realize its importance. I just wanna say. What make you a sensual, sexy being is on your soul. I have seen it and love every inch of it. Take care, be well. You are in my thoughts.

Todd

hellophotokitty said...

Thanks photodd :-))))