Monday, March 14, 2005

Just a little yadda yadda yadda.

I know, it's been a while since I posted. I seem to have run out of steam lately. I guess it's the whole thing about the play being 'edited' and my part in it pretty much on hold lately, and the fact that it is ALMOST APRIL and it's still fucken snowing and there is STILL snow on the ground!! I mean hello?! What happened to global warming??! I think it's all bullshit anyway - I can remember being a kid (about 4 or 5) and going out on my birthday in my little spring coat, being happier than a pig in you know what (sorry, potty mouth tonight) and the streets were dry, my little white Sunday shoes were proper, and there was not a speck of wetness anywhere to be found for miles. And this was the first week of April!! Hello!?! Needless to say, I am pretty much miffed by this and it's pulling me deeper into my little spiral of depression. AND to top it all off (bitch rant on the loose!) the meds that my doctor gave me - some kind of neural blocker/fuckerupper made me sleepy all the time! Sure, it helps for depression, because YOU SLEEP THROUGH THE MISERABLE STUFF!!! How outrageous is that!?? Well, enough about that crap... Lets move on to something a little more exciting shall we?

So I have sifted through some stuff that has been cut from the play so it's safe to say that we wont have to worry about things being used and the plotline given away, so for your reading pleasure, I now give you some snippets from Sex in la cité!!!


The from the cutting room floor (or recycle bin in my case) the scene from the Vernisage :
Setting: the girls are at a gallery opening and the theme is death. Big has been aloof to Carrie, Miranda keeps on forgetting her baby everywhere, Charlotte is assimilating a little too well into the Canadian culture, and Samantha becomes plagued with guilt and dispair as she can't seem to get laid in this new city, but also remembers how much Smith loved her...

Carrie: You know, art - it’s all about location! Stuff like this in Soho would sell for thousands of dollars, but put the same piece in a small studio, I don’t know, lets say Connecticut...

Samantha:
They have art in Connecetut?

Carrie:
I’m not sure. I think it’s that? You know, that shaker baker Quaker art? No, that’s furniture, that’s what they’re known for.

Carrie's Voice over:
And as I was scanning my mental databank of knowledge, I suddenly realized that I was going off on a tangent, and really wanted to make a point about art and location

So as I was saying, it all depends where you are. Avant garde art is acceptable in places like new York, Paris -.

Samantha:
And don’t forget the new no fucking zone – right here in this God dammed city!

Carrie:
Okay, here too, but put the same peice of art in a location where people have never been exposed to a wide variety of art like -.

Samantha:
Lets name drop – how about Wisconsin?

Carrie:
These people who have never known anything besides what they see (or what they consider as art) in their little bubble of a world might be appalled or intrigued by this new thing. Whatever their reaction, you know it’s going to be intense. Just remember the first time you went out of the city, and went to Paris for example.

Samantha:
Now, there I seemed to have no trouble with the men, or women for that matter.

Carrie:
But there, everything was new, fresh. It was exciting, but after the novelty of the newness wore off, your attitude towards the place you were once were so enamoured by, changes as well. We may think that New York is not that spectacular becasue we know the place inside and out, but someone who comes to the same city, for the first time, might just be overwhelmed because it's not something they are used to.

Samantha:
So what are you saying here? Bottom line. This art is shit right? Stick it in one place, and people think it's fucken amazing. Stick the same thing in another place and it's considered to be shit.

Carrie:
Well kinda. I’m thinking aloud. I think I just lost my train of thought.

Samantha:
Well honey, I think you should catch the next express locomotive back to what you were saying in the first place.


The end ;-)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh God! I am the one who is jealous about your gift with poetry! The eloquent choice of few and select words to explore a feeling or moment takes more talent and discipline than being a motor mouth and having verbal diaoreaha (Which I am sure that sometimes I suffer from!!) But thank you ;-)