Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sometimes its the wings of desire that break us

I am going down that road again.

Why don't I learn to keep myself out of trouble?

I thought that the office season's finale would be a funny one.
It was - it was great, and it's my favorite show, but damm.
Shame on NBC for making such great season finales!!

I was so choked up by Jim and Pam's plight.
Romeo and Juliet minus the drama, keep a dash of irony, and throw in the 'cut to black - end of season finale' finality.

So sad, yet so sweet.
We've all been there.

I, perhaps, have been there more times than most...

(dry chuckles from the peanut gallery)

Could it be part of 'the true artist's makeup"?

This book is amazing.
run to get it.
If you consider yourself to be a little off the beaten path, worn around the edges and living through your art - read it.
And if you are someone who knows someone like this - read it too.

so to keep myself from wallowing in romantic yet tragic melancholy, I am going to open a cold beer, grab a bag of hot buttered popcorn, put the pms monster to bed, and pop in one of my all time favorite movies.

It give me hope that angels to have wings, and that dreams can come true.



A line from the poem which starts the film




Song of Childhood By Peter Handke

When the child was a child,
it had no opinion about anything,
had no habits,
it often sat cross-legged, took off running,
had a cowlick in its hair, and made no faces when photographed.
When the child was a child,
It was the time for these questions:
Why am I me, and why not you?
Why am I here, and why not there?
When did time begin, and where does space end?
Is life under the sun not just a dream?
Is what I see and hear and smell not just an illusion of a world before the world?
Given the facts of evil and people,
does evil really exist?
How can it be that I, who I am,
didn't exist before I came to be,
and that, someday,
I, who I am,
will no longer be who I am?



When the child was a child,
It threw a stick like a lance against a tree,
And it quivers there still today.

***

If only I could look at lifewithh those eyes of a child again...

1 comment:

Eric Hart said...

Yeah, I saw the season finale of the Office yesterday too. What a cliffhanger! Where can they go from there? I also love that poem, Wings of Desire is one of my favorite movies too. I suppose I should read that book, since I'm already 2 for 3 here :)