Thursday, December 09, 2004

Cuba bound?

I actually had the opportunity and was asked if I wanted to leave to go to Havana tomorrow at 6pm. Had it not been such short notice, I would have packed my bags, grabbed my bikini, some suntan lotion and a sarong with some flip flops and hopped on a plane with no questions asked...

BUT...
Got the offer from one of the directors I worked with on a film this summer. Apparently, there is this Cuba/Canada exchange where as a gratuity (is that the right word) for taking a luggage load of medications, clothing, soaps and stuff over to Cuba, your flight is only $50 one way. The director knew another director who's brother had a place to stay right in Havana. Holy shit! That really was too good to be true.
Turned out that he had a last minute deadline for something that had to be done tomorrow without fail.
"Well, there goes the trip to Cuba..."
Well, there is always a next time...
I knew all those Spanish lessons would come in handy!!

So meeting with the director man was cool - he is uber talented and is just a really down to earth nice guy. I loved working on his film and met some great people (and a kick ass DOP with whom I hope to work with in the future). Even though we were not paid (hoping to be paid soon - all that $$ I spent on photos...) it was a life changing experience. It made me realize that being in film, and doing photography is where I am at my best. I am completely in my element and it shows. It is something that I need to do to stay creative and stay alive.

Tomorrow I am meeting with the club kids. I am not expecting much but know that I have to put on my business suit and nasty pants in order to get this contract. It is so not in my genetic make-up to be a business type', but I have to take on this new role in order to gain some respect and get some moula in my wallet. Besides, the other guy who they hired for the club is creepy and missing all his top front teeth. Who is going to want to smile and pose for a freak like that? No wonder all the pix on their website are so bad!!LOL

Off to bed. Had to do some printing of the pix to show them tomorrow. I am hoping that I will not get the run-around again. I am going to pull one of those 'sit-ins' and hang around until they show up. Would be kinda funny cause the club opens on Thursdays:

There I am, in my big down filled coat with a fur hood. My photo portfolio in tow, camera around my neck, waiting at the front steps for them to show up or haul me away (which I would have documented with my camera)...


Getting silly. Must rest. This weather is killing me. I feel like I am going into hibernation. Craving starchy foods like mad. Eating bread by the loaf and pasta by the pound! Oh Mr. Atkins? Where are you??

No comments: