Saturday, December 18, 2004

Went to a fun fun party last night - one of my old profs was having a little shin dig at her studio. I was not planning to attend initially. I really was planning to stay home in my tie dye yoga pants, my worn out Guns and Roses t-shirt that hangs so well off my bare shoulder, but after talking to my Bella chiqua gal pal (who was splishing around in the bathtub as we spoke) said :

''no questions asked. Just go!"

I heeded her advice because we were both in the same pms headspace. Staying at home when your hormones say 'feel sorry for me, I am a beached bloated pimply whale' is suicide. So I went, saying to myself:

this might actually be fun. Might...

I got there and was welcomed by old alumni - artists who smoked too much and loved their beer cold and domestic. It was a great cozy atmosphere as we all reminisced about the days before digital imaging became the photographic norm. I needed to reconnect with my old mentors and rejuvenate myself with art and their wisdom. As more people filtered in from the the cold, I felt so well lubed moving amidst the circles of old friends and new acquaintances with whom I shared a common passion. One of the teachers played DJ while grooving to Tina Turner, despite the continuous requests for something other than 'You better be good to me'. My wingspan grew as I spent the rest of the evening being a social butterfly and comedic relief.

Sometimes those 'nights' when you want to stay home and hide underneath the covers may not be the best medicine after all. I am a happy camper because I decided to be brave and hike out of my little cave .

Sunday I am going to a friend's cookie party. That should be fun. I made these delicious Cranberry white chocolate chunk shortbread cookies. A whole pound of butter and a block of white chocolate later, I have almost 80 little bundles of joy to share with my friends. How holiday is that?! I think that since I am so broke and creatively stumped this year, people are going to get the gift of sweets. Nothing says Xmas like red and green candy sprinkled shortbreads!!

Last night during the party E called me to relay some kick ass news!! He was driving on Mt. Royal and actually saw the famous shoe ad poster in the window of the store:
"Its HUGE and it looks great!!"


I almost dropped the phone from my hand.
"Now you have something to talk about at the party!!"

We drove by tonight but low and behold, the lights were all out and you could hardly see a thing, but being the geek I am, I pulled out my camera and took a photo anyway!! It is LIFE SIZE!! And looks great. I may have sold my soul on this one, but it's one hell of a poster for somebody who was as stressed and freaked out as a canary on cocaine!

Looking through the window, my face pressed against the glass, I said to myself:

Kudos!! Nice work... ;-)

And I was pleased...

No comments: