Thursday, December 23, 2004

Deck the halls with germs and phlegm...

Man oh man. Those flu shots are shit!
I have been sick the past four days - four serious 'lying in my deathbed' days. The week before it was on and off, but since the weekend I have been growing roots into my mattress. I am up now because my coughing has kept me awake! I am trying to get myself drunk on 'cough/congestion due to colds' syrup so I can finally sleep!

I have been flipping out, trying to find last minute gifts for everybody. When all else fails, cookies and other sweets usually do the trick. Baked goods always get allot of 'oohs' and 'ahhhs' , especially when something is made from scratch. Standing near a hot oven sure beats dealing with irate salespeople, having to hear spoiled kids wailing and throw themselves on the floor in a grand mal temper tantrum, standing in line-ups longer than the breadlines in the former USSR. I thought I'd get creative this year, but that first attempt failed miserably. I have managed to save my sanity and 6 stretched canvases I bought with a good (but mind you, not very feasible) idea in mind. I won't say what it is in case one of you readers will be the recipient of one of these 'home made' gifts.

So just when I thought my life was back in the 'remedial' class, I get an email that almost had me tumble down the stairs (I live on the 3rd floor, so it's quite a tumble down)!! Somebody saw my profile on www.Mandy.com (a showbiz site - people who are looking for showbiz work) and emailed me asking if I wanted to be a writer on one of their comedy projects. I wrote back right away, telling them about the whole fiasco with the comedy network (that insane deadline thing) and that buried deep in my cerebellum was a degree in Creative Writing, which I pull out every once and a while to impress people at church bazaars and funerals.
I got an email back and on it the last line said:

Also the producer would like to speak to you.

The producer!! The producer of the production in question?? Wow!! Did I feel important!! Funny, just the other day I was asking a friend of mine if this 'comedy writing thing' was just a waste of my time, or did I really have a diamond in the rough? Long story made into a commercial, I spoke to the co-producer/director and got the info on the project. It sounds like something I can really sink my teeth (and those false chattering wind up teeth) into. The deadline is February (Pishaw!! February??! That is a vacation compared to the 5 hours I had to bang out a treatment!!) and are looking for someone who can write a play that will catch the attention of the viewing public. I am totally up to the challenge! I am also thinking that by networking with these two women, I might just be adding some creative elbow grease (and chick power) to my upcoming sketch-com project!!

I will keep you all posted as the events unfold...
So now, my carpal tunnel syndrome is setting in (the first time I heard that term, I could not figure out how somebody could suffer from 'Car-pool- tunnel syndrome?)*** and it's getting hard to type as I yelp between hitting the space bar and reaching over for the caps lock button...

So to all my readers - I wish you all a happy and wonderful Holiday season!!



** that is my skit idea so don't steal it!!

No comments: