Friday, December 17, 2004

Inspiration on a cold winter day.

Just got back from shooting some stuff for a friend of mine who did the complete interior design for a big Xmas party downtown. The stuff looked spectacular! It was a cross between the Moulin Rouge and a Turkish Harem. It was really quite awe inspiring taking into consideration the amount of effort and time this fantastic duo put into these decorations!! I was inspired, but not inspired on a personal artistic level. Now does that even make sense??

I found reasons to bitch - my new $??? lens is not wide enough, my flash was not firing properly, there were too many drunk and arrogant people, I was not paid for this gig...

A sweet sweet guypal of mine came over tonight. He is simply amazing in every sense of the word. This guy has had truckloads of shit shoveled in his direction and he still manages to bounce back with a smile on his face. We did some photoshop work while we sipped on some Guinness. That made my night...

So I am looking for inspiration as I critically review my work. I am my own harshest critic and am relentless in ripping apart my own stuff. This process keeps me from advancing sometimes - I don't like what I do, try to perfect it, but then end up hating that result as well... Little mouse in my head loosing steam on that little wheel he keeps spinning on...

Almost 3:30am. Now it's Friday.
I have not done any shopping or preparation for Xmas. All the decorations are sitting in a bag in front of the tree. Maybe the cats will take some initiative, at least play with the bows...

I have a whole list of my fave photographers - 'photographers extaordinaire' is the sub folder in my 'favorites' bookmarks section. One that I continue to come back to is Mark Romanek : http://www.markromanek.com/ This man is simply amazing. I would love love to meet him to pick his brain about all things aesthetic in photo and cinema.

Somebody told me the other day that my films and photos are really great and it's going to be a matter of time before I 'break into the market', make a name for myself. Sometimes, the doors that I pound on are just doors to empty places. My fingers and knuckes are getting a little bruised from knocking so hard and so long, but I can't give up now. That would defeat the purpose of me wanting to be a photographer/filmmaker.

LOL.
So much for a quick little blog before I went to sleep.

The sounds of slush being pushed through threaded radial tires during this quiet winter night add a tranquil ambience to my room. The 'woosh' reminds me of the ocean - the waves rolling up to the shore.

It's all water. It's all good in one form or another...

No comments: