Friday, November 09, 2007

overheard in a conversation/kitchen chaos

"and I was three years old and knew all the words! it was so weird. You know that song: "achy brakey heart"? Yea, well, I used to sing it all the time. My aunt bought me the DVD and I loved it so much!"

she was three when she heard that song...
And is now 18

I almost laughed out loud when I heard her talk about it
thought about how funny it would be if I asked her if she knew what an 8-track was, or LP's? Could she even remember the era of "cassettes"? Or what "old walkmans" looked like compared to today's Ipod?

Then it made me feel old. Really old
but then privileged because I was around to see the end of an era - the 78 (my grandmother had tons of them) that even played on their old stereo.

Funny, I miss those pops and scratches that came with prolonged long playing of the lp.


Did lots of walking today - it was sunny, crisp not cold. It made me happy to be warmed by the sun and getting some fresh air. Stopped off at 2nd hand store. Got a kick ass pair of Aerosoles. 10$! How could I pass it up?
as if I need more shoes?
but don't we all say that?

After I got home, I felt the manic panic set in. Dishes piled to the sky in both the "in/soiled" and "out/clean" bins. The cats (still disoriented by the daylight savings time change - at 4:30pm, their torturous wailing beings) flipping out, the house smelling like an old shoe - all too much for me.

My table set me off - I've done some retro collage with those old food ad illustrations from the 50's. It looks great other days of the week, but tonight it made me edgy and panicky. For a moment, I sympathized with epileptics who can't see flashing lights because it could induce seizures.

My eyeballs shook like loose change in a beggars pocket as I tried to avert my gaze - but to what?

Crazy stacked dishes?
Mountians of paper and nick nack chaos on the stove?

From previous experiences, I knew that anything which was not tied down would soon be airborne, so I unfurled a solid colored tablecloth over the retro visual din, draped all the appliances with tea cloths, and tossed the cats a can of food each in their bowls.

Now, my kitchen looks like a mausoleum - appliances in mourning, plates and Tupperware crammed into shopping bags on the floor

but at least it's calm now.

No animals or dishes were harmed prior to or during writing of this blog...

No comments: