Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The elusive moment of "now' or 'Strange days indeed...Most peculiar Momma - roll!!"

I love that line from the Doors song (which one is it? For the life of me, I can't remember. I just hear that stupid loop in my head. Now it's going to drive me crazy!!). It has been a strange day and past few days indeed...

My Galpal dropped by today. She loved the photos I took of her in her bathroom. All 200 of them!! If that were measured in 35 mm film rolls, I would be crying right now. Too expensive to even think about. But for digital, they came out nice. We are already planning another shoot when she has more time. She was thinking of doing something a la Clara Bow/flapper 1920's style. With my apartment and its art deco charm, I think we might just have an interesting session on our hands.

E passed me a note telling me to call back this doctor M. I have been on a waiting list for this woman for months! Granted, this appointment is only the initial assessment, but it is getting somewhere. I was looking at the paper and my Galpal gets a phone call on her cell. I hear through the receiver: This is Doctor M's office...
Could it be the same doctor?
Low and behold, it was...
She is amazing. Absolutely fantastic! She is the one I have been telling you about!!
That was just too creepy. Same doctor, two telephone calls to two friends on the same day...

I was also shaken after seeing the footage of the Tsunami hitting the resort last night. Have you ever had the feeling that you see something somewhere (any kind of visual cue) and it sparks a memory? Yea, I think it's called Deja Vu, but this was not a place that I had been before, rather something that I had dreamed just after Xmas. I can vaguely put the pieces together but the fact remains, I dreamt about a huge wave, carrying people, houses, cars and everything in its path away in one swoop. The tide was ridiculously high - about 7 stories tall, and it washed through what looked like an old Eastern European train station. The wave was almost cartoonish in its grandeur. I remember looking up and seeing it crest. I could hear people yelling, others running out into the water, some to 'catch the wave and Hang 10', others just out of curiosity. I was close but at the same time, far enough away to marvel at this ominous force of nature, able to watch the last of the tide wash over my feet and toes. I felt like Alice in Wonderland - big in a small space, and small in a big space. Very strange.

I didn't bother to write it down. I have had lots on my mind as of late, but watching TV last night brought all the images back into sharp focus. Shivers travelled up and down my spine as I stared at the screen.

The last time something like that happened to me (one of the more bizarre incidences) was when I was in my early teens. There was a time back in the 80's when it seemed like there was a plane crash every other week. In my state of somnambulism, I would dream of watching a plane crash in the distance, or sometimes be within several meters of the falling plane, and walking amid the carnage and wreckage. After these nightmares, I would wake up very disturbed, usually 20 minutes before my alarm went off then doze off again. I would then hear on the radio 'We have just received word of another plane crash in..." Once, twice was a fluke. When it reached the 7 mark over a 6 month period, I became a little freaked out...

I once read about Einstein's theory of time/space continuum - if you travel at the speed of light, and then surpass that top speed, you can see the past present and future simultaneously. I have a funny feeling that dreams must be some sort of portal into that realm. I can't explain it, and I don't pretend to know anything about physics, but the fact remains - humans only use 10% of their brains. Something has to be going on in the other 90% don't you think???

I found this on a physics website - it explains it more eloquently than I ever could...

NOTHING is more fundamental to human experience than the impression of time passing. We can hardly make sense of our lives other than in the context of a fixed past of events that can never be changed and a future of unrealised potentialities. Between them sits the mysterious and elusive moment of "now".This basic human perception of the flow of time is, however, at odds with accepted scientific theory. In Einstein's general relativity, space and time are combined into the indivisible block known as space-time, in which past, present and future all exist together. Space-time is a frozen fabric that does not evolve. Our own existence, from birth to death, is set out in space-time in a timeless way. There is no flow, and no place for now.

If there is no place for 'now' what are we doing 'here' ????



3 comments:

hellophotokitty said...

Thanks Gama and vr2020 for the posts!
And yes Gama I plan to use it.. Wisely.
And vr2020 - I am hoping that all these wild and wacky coincidences are telling me: 'you are were you are supposed to be going and where you are supposed to be.."

hellophotokitty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
themadamefiles said...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18024155.000-real-time.html

just for me to remember...