Sunday, January 09, 2005

My pride in being 'different'.

I for the longest time, I felt awkward about being who I was - a quirky skinny, sensitive, hyper, funny kid. Not much has changed since those years, except I am not called toothpick or dental floss anymore.

It takes guts to be an artist. You are not guaranteed money or fame - that is more like a lottery. You might be shunned by your relatives and friends:
'Ah! Another comedian! Like the world needs more of those? Why don't you get a 'real education' and live in the real world'.

As an artsy, its a pre-requisite that we have to dress different. Maybe its a hormonal/chromosome misread, but one of the basic staples in our wardrobe is black. What I got as a kid:
"So where's the funeral!?" "Who are you mourning for?' and the classic, 'you know, black attracts the sunlight and heat in the summer...'

Artsy people appreciate weird things - Chia pets, Little teeny tiny Japanese teapots, crayons and metallic pens, really big and fluffy floor pillows, most of what is retro/tiki/euro-mod, keep weird sleep/waking hours and subtitles in movies. I could go on, but then I would be uncovering the 'mystery' (neurosis) which makes us 'artsy-fartsies' so unique.

I am happy that I am at times weird, quirky, unique.
This is a quote from somebody who was a real 'unique' in the most real sense.
(It was all in those eyebrows)

Psychoanalysis. Almost went three times - almost. Then I decided what was peculiar about me was probably what made me successful. I've seen some very talented actors go into analysis and really lose it."

Bette Davis

2 comments:

hellophotokitty said...

Completly!
She was so sarcastic and deadpan.
Nobody knew if she was serious or kidding.
But for the most part, she was serious.
And had a huge chip on her shoulder!

hellophotokitty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.