Wednesday, June 18, 2008

how to communicate effectively, purely.

Ahh.
late late night - past midnight.

Got back from the gym not long ago - last call at 10pm, but stayed for the steam and sauna till 11.

Decided to shake up the routine.

Now I'm wired from doing too much cardio - but it's all good.

Normally, because of this surplus energy, I would have spent most of the night firing off long and complex emails to my friends, not that they don't appreciate it - as a matter of fact they do...



And just when I thought I had to edit myself, I got this from a friend of mine.

and it made everything all right...

Thank you so so very very much matt.
Your words have healed a worried mind and weary soul.


.

.



And please don't apologize to me, not ever, for writing too much.

I think what I like about your photographic style is also that which I enjoy about your style of writing, or captioning your photographs.
You do it all with such passion, such natural intensity, like its being processed by your brain but streaming live from your soul.

That is not the most common thing to encounter, and it is a thing which i place in high regard.

Knowing how to communicate effectively, purely, and without typical boundaries or borders is only worth knowing if you can find other people who know this as well.





This is what I wrote back.


Funny, things just seem to flow out of my fingertips, onto the keyboard and tend to make so much sense late late at night.

When my guard is let down


"You do it all with such passion, such natural intensity, like its being processed by your brain but streaming live from your soul."

Oh matt, those words are healing for me right now.

So many times I feel as if I have to edit myself. I come on too strong, am to bold and rush to get what I want, want to know answers yesterday and don't know the meaning of patience or wait.

I know this "intensity" shows in my photography - and in my relationships, which I tend to monopolize and complicate. Some people can handle it; some say they can, but then run for the hills when I send them copious paragraphs of my philosophizing and analysis of the world around us, around them and around myself.

Thank you for not running...


"That is not the most common thing to encounter, and it is a thing which i place in high regard."

and when I got this message, I had the same thoughts about you and your photography, and writing as well.

Great minds think alike ;-)


"Knowing how to communicate effectively, purely, and without typical boundaries or borders is only worth knowing if you can find other people who know this as well."

Can I quote you on that?

This is a brilliant line - I'm thinking of making a tshirt out of it, put your name on the bottom. And when people ask me who is Matt Carr, I will send them to your flickr site, and then say "this man is a highly enlightened human being, and I'm happy to say that he's my friend..."

I'm happy that I was able to give you another angle to what I saw in your photographs. I love doing that for people - I love it when it happens to me.

I think that when we take pictures, there are several layers of meaning and interpretation that lie within the pathways of the brain, and because we can only process so much information at one time, only the strongest ideas punch through - making it to the central processing center which then tells our hands and eyes to create what we see as a finished image.

Sometimes, residuals drip through in the way we chose to frame something, the intensity of the light might be a reference point to an earlier idea - but it all happens under the radar - what a beautiful and magical process!

And shooting inebriated? Hell, that's the best time!

If you are like me, you are a thinker - sometimes too much for your own good, and because of that, we edit, shave down and cut around the juiciest part of our raw ideas, making it a nice and tidy package - easily digestible.

But when we let our guard down (either through mind altering substances or also, in my case, mania or depression) we plug up the dam of reason, of safety, of logic and (as I said before) let the floodgates of instinct open and then, the emotion, the intensity, the honesty of what we are feeling, even the most intangible and incomprehensible ones to make their way to our creative centers.

No editing, no stopping - just feeling and experiencing.

i think that is what real art is all about.
From writing, to photographing to living.

No comments: