Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Finishing line.

It's almost there.
The final first draft.
By this time tomorrow, it will be done.

I can't believe it. I am sitting here in a state of shock as I look at this pile of papers on my desk which are now being held together by sheer willpower and a huge clip.

It's almost done.
The first draft.
I am completely stunned.

It's about 78 pages, and that is single spaced.
At only a 10 point font.
Done by industry standards, I think I would have enough material to make a feature film.

a feature film

I have always dreamed of that, and at 5:15am, of after almost 2 weeks of sleepless nights and red eyed mornings, it's there. Almost done. Not a film, but a play.

close enough

All that remains to be done is the last little bit where Carrie sees big and she then goes off on her last tangent of insight which makes no sense (as per her character in the play). I need a fresh set of eyes for this - Charlotte is coming by my place in (checking my watch) in about 5 hours. HOLY CRAP!! Do I actually have time to sleep a little bit??! YIPPIE!!

Fresh eyes for the most powerful punch of the play - the ending. I can't wait to finish this draft. I know the biz enough to have weathered through the re-writing stages, but nothing beats coming up with the first draft. I have never had kids, but from what I have heard, I think this would come in a close second as the most exhausting and painful thing on earth, but at the same time, the most rewarding.

Its almost done.
Its almost done.
I did it.
I did it!

If you would have asked me a year ago to write something like this, I would have doubled over with laughter and disbelief. And to put it all together in about a month? I would have laughed myself unconscious. But here I am. Beaming while I look at that little pile on my desk, amidst the other pieces of paper, bottles, glasses, plates, kleenexes, and various other shits that have acculmulated while I have been on this writing quest. I must take a picture and post it here. That will be after I sleep for a few hours, enough so that I don't fall on my face while I attend the 2nd round of auditions tonight - 5 - 11pm.

God, all of this better be worth it in the end!!!

So on that note, I am pooped. My fingers have developed callous from typing so much and my eyes are so dry I can hear the crunching when I blink.

Thanks to everybody who has been with me on this journey so far.
Stay tuned.

The best is yet to come ;-)

1 comment:

Azathoth100 said...

On behalf of someone who used to write and once wanted to do it for a living, there is no better feeling than finishing the story. Enjoy the glow it brings, even if the story goes nowhere. You proved you can do it, to yourself. And you are the hardest critic you will ever find, as well as the biggest fan. I'm happy for you.