Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Insanity Reigns supreme here at home.

Insanity reigns supreme here.
And so my friends, here begins another night of insanity.
I just thought I’d let you all know that I am here, but not really on this planet. I’ll be giving little updates for the next two weeks (or longer rants when I feel like I am going out of my mind completely).

So begins another night of some serious junk food consumption, carpal tunnel syndrome au max and fending off my cats who have decided that my computer and area are now their territory and will fight to the final meow to prove their point.

A summary: In two weeks this baby has to be able to walk on it’s own two feet. Right now, its in various states of regurgitation and rolling around, trying to recognize that it actually does have feet, let alone the discovery of the toes yet. The pressure is on and my body, aside from sending me smoke signals, is in revolt and trying to tell me to slow down. I am trying, but the state of panic and the feeling of responsibility that I have and the reality that the whole cast of 12 are waiting on this script to begin rehearsals has me in a tailspin. (We have to welcome my little evil voice of sarcasm that has decided to put its two cents worth in every now and then)

It’s not like this is a paying gig! Why stress so much over it!
Because I want to do a good job. Not only a good job, a great amazing fucken job; because I want this piece of work to be my calling card for future projects. I stress because people are waiting on me for this. I stress because I can.
I stress therefore I am.

You better make sure that you get at least some sort of deal or publicity out of this! You gotta hound the producers after this is done! Tell them – I did this shit for free – but now I want payback, in publicity! And lots of it.
I think I would take sleep and rest over publicity now. But that’s now…

On Sunday afternoon, Charlotte, Samantha and I brainstormed into the wee hours of Monday morning. We started at 3pm, watched some clips of SATC, worked some more, had dinner, worked some more at dinner, came back to my place, worked some more, Samantha left at 11:30pm and then Charlotte and I finished off the night at 5:00am!! I could not believe it!! I had tried to take Blueleaf’s suggestion of staying up until the wee hours, not going to sleep but try to reset your clock by going to bed that night at ‘regular time’, but at 6:30am when E got up, my head hit the pillow and there was no turning back from Lala land. I slept until about 8pm. I rolled out of bed, dragged myself through the shower like a dilapidated stationwagon in a carwash, shoveled down my food without tasting it, and then went back to bed. Today was much the same. My clock is now on some sort of Asian Pacific time and one day behind.
What I do for my art.
You are insane. Fucked up artist.
I know. You don’t have to remind me.
Go to bed wacky woman.
I am and shut up, don't be an asshole.
And sweeet dreams to you too!!

And the saga continues...

As promised some little snippets of the play so far…

Carrie: Oh, Jean Paul, I found out that my name means cavity in french!
Charlotte:I wonder what my name means in French?
Jean Paul: It means Charlotte. It’s a very French name my dear.
Charlotte:Oh really!? That’s so exciting! Maybe I have some French in me…
Samantha: I wouldn’t mind having a little frenchie in me, especially after last night!

I have made Samantha the total horn dog. Almost everything she says or makes comments on is about sex. Not a real stretch from the show...

If you have seen the show, you all might remember that Carrie loves to do voice overs - her little blurbs of introspection or insight which are often are used as scene transitons, bridges between two seperate topics of conversation, or even just to fill up dead air. This is the way I decided to use her voice overs in between scenes to allow the actors to change into their next set of costumes...

Voice over on an empty stage:
Meanwhile at the café... (pause)
Meanwhile in the metro...(pause)
Meanwhile, at the bar… (pause)
Meanwhile… (long pause)
Okay, I’m ready now!

This would have been perfect for film or tv as I had envisoined shots of these places with nothing going on, and nobody to be seen in them seen either. Adding the cricket noises so often employed to show deserted locations was another option.

1 comment:

hellophotokitty said...

LOL - you kill me!!
Do I have permission to use that in the script? I can see Samantha saying something like "I may no be able to speak the language, but I can sure kiss like the language!" (or something like that.I'm too tired to be funny right now...)