Saturday, February 12, 2005

Outrageous, out the door, out of steam and out of control - my life in a nutshell.

Hello All!
I apologize for disappearing!
I have been on such a bender - I don't know if it's the pounds of underground coffee beans that I have been eating for breakfast or if it is just called artistic desperation, but I have been writing and running around non stop - I am the everyready bunny on acid and speed.

tomorrow is the big vernisage (fancy french word for a new show opening up at a gallery) and I am waaaaayyy nervous. I have invited tons of people and I am soo excited ! Here I go again pulling a Sally Feild:
They like me! They really like me!
And am just a bag of jitters just becasue that's the way I get when my things are shown in public (that sounds nasty doesn't it. Well, it's not really). I will keep you all posted as to how it turns out! I will be at home recuperating Sunday and Sunday night brainstorming with Charlotte and Samantha again in the hopes of finishing off the script.
God! I still can't believe I took on such a huge endeavor!! YIKES!!
So on that note, as promised, I'll leave you with some snippets from the show. Hope you enjoy them!!
(oh, and Esti is actually a swear word in french...)

;-)

All the girls are sitting in a diner.

Samantha: So what will you be wearing to tomorrow’s, what’s it called – (pulls out invitation) – vern – eee –sage?

Carrie: I really don’t know yet. (shocked at herself) I think I have reached a fashion block. Everything I put on lately just doesn’t seem to fit right. Either its too loose, or too tight or bunched up in all the wrong places. I have a funny feeling my body is trying to tell me something…

Miranda: My body is telling me that it has reached the perfect age to shop for and wear clothes with elastic waistbands and polyester tops without a lot of buttons…

Samantha: I’m a zipper gal myself…

Charlotte:(to Carrie) What are you talking about? You look fantastic for your age!

Carrie: Should I take that as an insult wrapped in a compliment wrapped in a polyester pantsuit?

Charlotte: No… I just mean that anything you wear, you look great in! It’s all about attitude. Its how you wear the clothes that you’re in. If you feel sexy, you’ll look sexy!

Samantha: Heck, if I’m in a mood, feeling all sexy and horny, I can pull off wearing almost anything! And have!!

Carrie: We know all about the Glad garbage bag story thank you very much…

Samantha: But plastic bags and baby oil?!?! Hmm, honey! You gotta try it sometime! All that slipping and sliding around - …

Charlotte: Glad. Wasn’t that the quicker picker upper, no wait (pauses) that’s Bounty..

Miranda: My clothes say - I’m practical, but boring - comfortable yet casual. Cotton briefs for when I get my period, no nonsense sweatpants for hanging around the house and going to the grocery store. Comfort is key for this thirtysomething gal. No more squeezing myself into pants that are two sizes too small, or tops that barely cover my tits (looks down at her chest), well, barely cover this area (makes a hand motion around her chest).

Carrie: I have to find something tres tres chic. It’s going to be a cinq a sept.

Charlotte: Ooh! What’s a cinq a sept? It sounds so exciting!

Samantha: Where I come from, its called happy hour, or is (pause) it liquid h’or deuvres in Montreal…

Carrie:Its absolutely exciting! Cinq a sept is a local French phrase for a get together between five and seven PM – usually to launch an art exposition or book signing, often held in a fancy loft or gallery, either on the plateau or in the old city where people go to look pretty and rub elbows with the city’s clique of artsy-fartsies.

Miranda:And you would consider yourself an artsy-fartsy?

Carrie:Well, now that I have a job, am able to afford to live in an apartment bigger than a bathroom and don’t have to recycle my cigarette butts might mean that I’ve probably grown out of that ‘title’ somewhat…

Samantha:What an adventure to look forward to! All those young hot French boys with their beautiful slim bodies and long hair, and ooooh! That accent just drives me wild!

Miranda:You don’t understand half of what they say to you anyway -.

Samantha:Does it really matter???!! I’m a Canadian as well! We’re all from the same country – that should be enough common ground enough for at least a one night stand (contemplates). Whatever it is, it’s the perfect time for an after work getaway, not long enough to get people completely drunk, but long enough to- .

Carrie (interjecting):To slap over a cheque of 5 grand for a painting that looks like a piece of shit when sober!!

They all take their cups/glasses and meet in the middle of the table – clinking them together

Samantha: Oui Oui !

Miranda: Salute!

Charlotte: Esti!

Carrie: What’s an esti?

Charlotte: Some bum with on the street with a beer in his hand said it to me as I walked by him last night. I think it means – to your health!

All Girls together: ESTI!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ESTI!

... by the way, what does "esti" really mean?

Russell Ragsdale said...

Wow, you used vernissage! In Russian we would say klov (which is like 'cool'). By the way, Russian mat (the vocabulary of swearing in Russian) is also very rich. Another hilarious post, as the new Governor of California used to say: "I'll be Bach."

Kenneth said...

This is good. People will want to see these characters in the novel setting. So insofar as the jokes are localised, you've got a hit. The characters are fixed, the setting is the unique thing... good job.

Esti!

Anonymous said...

Russell: can I use that word Klov? I can have carrie say something stupid like : that's so Klov! and Miranda would say something snarky like no, he's really a klod.

(it sounded funny in my head...)
Tabernack!

Russell Ragsdale said...

She should say klova to use it in speech so I don't know whether you could pair it with clod. Anyway, spoken outside of a Russian dialog it does sound pretty funny!

Esti!